How to promote healing and reduce discomfort after your scaling & root planing
- To manage pain, take an aspirin, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), or ibuprofen (Advil) every 4 hours for the next couple days.
- Gently rinse with a salt water solution for 2 to 3 minutes every hour to alleviate discomfort.
- Brush gently with a soft bristled toothbrush. Hard bristles can irritate sensitive teeth and gum tissues. You may notice some minor bleeding which is normal.
- Avoid eating hard or spicy foods for the first few days.
- Avoid smoking, which can drastically reduce the chances of successful outcome. The chemicals contained in cigarettes can interfere with your body’s ability to heal. In addition, smoking increases the risks of dry socket.
- You may experience some temporary sensitivity to cold temperatures. Use a sensitive toothpaste or fluoride gel at least 4 times a day for a period of 1 to 2 weeks.
- Use recommended oral hygiene aids, such as floss, Perio-Aid, Sonicare, or Peridex mouth rinse, to help clean your teeth and gums.
If you have any more questions, contact 16th Street Dental Care in Yuma today.